Most cakes, biscuits, breads and other desserts use white sugar when making them. In addition to sweetening the desserts, white sugar also has many functions such as making the desserts more moist, but if you like honey very much For taste, consider using honey instead of sugar when baking.
The first thing to note is that although white sugar can be replaced with honey, the resulting snacks will have some changes in texture or taste. If you do not want any changes, it is recommended to use white sugar. As for how to use honey to replace white sugar, please refer to the following instructions.
How to replace sugar with honey when baking?
- Selection of honey color: Usually, the darker the color of honey, the stronger the taste. It is recommended to choose light-colored honey instead of white sugar when baking, so that the dessert will not be too sweet, and the honey flavor will not overwhelm the taste of other ingredients.
- Honey crystallization treatment: Natural honey will crystallize due to changes in temperature and humidity. Although crystallization is a natural phenomenon, there is no need to worry, but if you use honey for baking, it is recommended to dispose of the crystals before using them. It’s like making a snack with agglomerated white sugar. First, put the honey into a heat-resistant glass jar or other heat-resistant container, open the lid, and then directly soak the heat-resistant container into hot water, and stir the honey in the container from time to time until it crystallizes.
- Anti-stick measuring tool: The texture of honey is relatively viscous. Whether it is a measuring cup or a measuring spoon to measure the amount of honey to be used, when we pour honey from the measuring cup or measuring spoon into the conditioning basin, it is inevitable that there will be honey residues. On the measuring tool.That is to say, the honey that is actually poured into the conditioning basin will be insufficient, so it is recommended to use an anti-stick measuring tool, or apply a layer of oil on the surface of the tool before use.
- The amount of honey: the same amount of white sugar and honey, the sweeter is considered honey, so when we use honey to replace white sugar, it is recommended to reduce the use of honey, or reduce other sweet ingredients , so the dessert will not be too sweet. Basically every 1 cup of white sugar can be replaced with 2/3 to 3/4 cups of honey.
- Reduce the amount of water: In addition to sugar, honey also contains a lot of water, so when using honey to replace white sugar, you need to reduce the amount of other liquid ingredients such as milk. Basically, for every 1 cup of honey, you need to reduce the amount of other liquid ingredients by 1/4 cup. , but if there are no other liquid ingredients in the recipe, you can only add additional flour, about 2 tablespoons of flour per 1 cup of honey. When making sourdough bread, cupcakes, American muffins, or lattice muffins, you can actually replace sugar and honey directly in a 1:1 ratio.
- Add baking soda powder: Honey is an acidic ingredient, so when using honey to replace white sugar, you need to add alkaline baking soda powder to reduce the acidity. In addition, because honey is thicker than white sugar, adding baking soda powder can make the dough For easier expansion, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to every 1 cup of honey.
- Low temperature baking: The dough made with honey instead of white sugar will change color faster during baking. In order to avoid the color becoming too dark or even burning, it is recommended to adjust the oven temperature to 4 degrees below the specified temperature in the recipe, for example If the recipe says to bake at 180°C, change to 176°C.
- It is not suitable to replace white sugar with honey: Although honey is delicious, honey has a thick texture, so not every dessert is suitable for replacing white sugar with honey. For example, if you need to whip cream and sugar during the production process, sugar is better than honey Better fit and easier to get air in.